November 20, 2007

Cover & Original - Neil Young, Covered



So, C&O is usually on Wed, but because I didn't put the things that I wrote up last night on my USB stick, tomorrow's regular feature is up today. So.
I've gotten into Neil Young lately. I'd listened to him off and on over my life, but not really all that closely. As I've read about other artists, I've really seen how much of an influence he's been on a number of bands that I really like. So, here's a couple of artists covering a bunch of Neil Young songs.


Ohio (Neil Young) - Gov't Mule w/ Grace Potter & the Nocturnals
Ohio (Live) - Neil Young

I love this cover version of Ohio. It's got a nice, rich guitar opening to it, while Warren Hayes and Grace Potter sound absolutely fantastic.

Heart of Gold - Neil Young

The late, great, Johnny Cash does an absolutely wonderful job with this one. It suits his sound perfectly.

Harvest Moon (Neil Young) - Ben Gibbard (of Death Cab for Cutie)
Havest Moon - Neil Young

This is the indie version of this set. The quality's not that great, but he does a good job with it.

Cortez, The Killer (Neil Young) - Dave Matthews Band with Warren Hayes (Of Gov't Mule)
Cortez, the Killer - Neil Young

This is one of the songs that DMB is perfectly suited for, and while it's a little outside of their style, Haye's help with the song is a fantastic addition.



Tomorrow - Evolution of Ray LaMontagne & Breaking into the Maintstream...