December 4, 2007

The Best of November

This was a nice change from last month, with very few good songs. There was a lot of good music coming out this month, stuff that I was coming across recently.

(Reposted because SaveFile is now back online & this can get listed with Hype again...)


Best Days
- Matt White
The image “http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51bcwMTbwjL._AA240_.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

This is a pretty cool song, fairly mainstream sounding, but it's got a very good, laid back feel to it, reminding me quite a bit of John Mayer and Matchbox Twenty. The lyrics are simple, but the vocals and guitarwork isn't bad. This guy's a newcomer, and I haven't been able to find out a whole lot about him, but I'll be keeping an eye out for him.

Dylan, Bob Dylan
The image “http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41%2B4jSOoSsL._AA240_.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

I'm not going to highlight any particular song here - just this one album, with 51 songs on it over three disks (I got the deluxe version) spans Bob Dylan's entire history in music, which is incredible in and of itself. This album covers an entire era in rock music. An essential.


I Want To Be In the Cavalry - Corb Lund
Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier - Corb Lund
Student Visas - Corb Lund
The image “http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51QRpXvgAVL._AA240_.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

These three songs from Corb Lund and the Hurtin' Albanians are really interesting to me - mainly for their focus of history, and all are from the fantastic album Horse Soldier! Horse Soldier! Cavalry is a fun song with a fantastic military-like beat, while the title track is a really cool look at horses in warfare over the course of history. Student Visas is a somber and very dark song about black ops during what sounds like Columbian operations. Each is fantastically written and have a good sound.

You Ain't Goin' Nowhere (Bob Dylan) - Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova

The image “http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ZkxLo6AoL._AA240_.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

This song has really been getting my head into the clouds every time I hear it - it's a fantastic rendition of the original Bob Dylan version. Glen Hansard does a good job imitating the lead vocals and Marketa Irglova does a fantastic job backing him up. One of the best out of that album, I'm Not There.

Knockin' On Heaven's Door (Bob Dylan) - Antony & The Johnsons

Another fantastic Bob Dylan cover, one that really don't follow any of the other covers that I've heard - it's slower, deliberate and somber, but quiet and thoughtful. It's possibly the best cover of the song since Jimi Hendrix's version.

Skin and Bones - Jess Clemons and the Cooperative
Well The Tide - Jess Clemons and the Cooperative

http://www.cbc.ca/atlanticairwaves/images/releases/Jess_Clemons.jpg

Jess Clemons is another musician that I went to high school with, and I was really thrilled to see that she's just released her first album, Jess Clemons & The Cooperative. Both songs have some really good writing backing it up, brought to life with some fantastic vocals. She goes the folksy-blues route with her music, and it really works for both songs, which are easily the best off of her first album.

Seed of Wonder - Jesca Hoop
Love and Love Again - Jesca Hoop

The image “http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51k%2BeDPSetL._AA240_.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

Jesca Hoop is one of the best musicians of the year that's come to my ears. She's got an incredible, unique sound that is very catchy, especially in the case of Seed of Wonder. There's some good guitar work behind it. The entire album sounds cool, and there's a huge variance in the sound between each album. Seed of Wonder and Love and Love Again don't really follow the same formula, which is really neat.

Run (Snow Patrol) - Leona Lewis

Just a bit of a disclaimer - I'm not a huge fan of the original verion of this, the Snow Patrol song Run. It's a fine song, but it's hardly one of my favorites. However, Leona Lewis has done a masterful job with the song and made it one of the few cases where the cover surpasses the original by a bit. Vocally, she does a very good job with the lyrics and turning this to a quiet, thoughtful song.

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Brandi Carlile & A Fine Frenzy

I saw this song live, when the two came to Vermont. What a fantastic concert, and this song was a fun one to see on stage. The two singers are good together, although I think Brandi Carlile is the stronger of the two singers. This version is a fun duet.

Mouthwash - Kate Nash

The image “http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51VNGShkM6L._AA240_.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

Kate Nash is another one of the very good singers that's come out of the woodwork this summer. She sounds very similar to Regina Spektor, with some great vocals. This song has a good beat and sound, and is a fun one to listen to - her voice is just fantastic. A must for any dentist!

Black Mirror - Arcade Fire
No Cars Go - Arcade Fire

The image “http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51nANC23dbL._AA240_.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
Arcade Fire is a band that's been around for a while, but I was just turned to them. Black Mirror and No Cars Go are two of my favorites from their fantastic album Neon Bible. I'm a fan.

A Man of a Million Faces - Stephin Merritt

This song was the result of NPR's song in 48 hours feature. It's catchy and has some really interesting lyrics. Merritt's voice really fits well with this (and I believe that he played all the parts for this) and the entire song really fits together well with a moody feel to it.

Say - John Mayer

John Mayer's back with a single, and despite his shortcomings, I think this song really shows some talent. It's got some good guitar-work and good lyrics.

How Long, Eilen Jewell

KCRW picked up with this song, and it's got a very laid-back feel to it with a unique sound and some good lyrics and a good sound to it.

Please Read The Letter - Robert Plant & Alison Krauss

The image “http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51U3t5hrneL._AA240_.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
This is another fantastic duet that I came across, and one that's rather unexpected. Robert Plant and Alison Krauss sound fantastic together. This song has particular meaning right now, and I'm probably going to get the rest of this album, because it's just got an amazing sound all around.

That's all for this month - I can't wait to see what December brings.