June 12, 2008

New Artist: Oren Lavie



I've often found that the television is a good medium for coming across new songs and artists. The use of an artist's song in any number of TV shows, from House to Scrubs to Grey's Anatomy and more, have led to a number of artist's rise and/or popularity, from Alexi Murdoch, the Shins, Brandi Carlile, and Feist, to name just a couple. While watching TV last night, I came across a new song, which really grabbed me, and prompted me to look it up on the intraweb earlier today to come across a really fantastic new artist named Orin Lavie.

The commercial was for the Chevy Malibu, and it's actually a pretty clever one (watch it below.) But what really grabbed me was the song, Her Morning Elegance. It's soft, easy going and really really good.

..

Oren, as I've listened to him this morning, has a sound somewhere along the lines of Sting, Rufus Wainwright, Chris Stills, but along with his own unique aspects. What's nice is that he's not a copy of any of these artists. With some that I've listened to, they have all the right aspects that I'm looking for, but sound too much like other people that I like. This is not the case here.

Lavie hails from Israel, although he's since moved around a bit, ending up in Berlin, where he started recording his first album, The Opposite Side In The Sea, which has been in the works for the past couple of years, being released in Europe in 2007, and in the US digitally in January of this year - apparently, we'll be getting a hard copy sometime this year here.