August 20, 2008

Don't Go Looking, I'm Not There



A while ago, I finally picked up the film I'm Not There, a bio topic loosely based off of the life of Bob Dylan. The movie has been highly regarded by numerous news organizations and people that I've talked to, and I can see why - it's a brilliantly filmed and scripted movie, if confusing as hell for someone not expecting a trippy, exciting ride.

The interesting thing that drew me to this in the first place was the use of six different actors (Marcus Carl Franklin, Ben Whishaw, Heath Ledger, Christian Bale, Richard Gere, and Cate Blanchett), all playing Dylan, each representing a different stage in his life. Of the six, I think that the brightest praise goes to Cate Blanchett, for her portrayal, which I found to be one of the best performances that I've seen in a movie in a long time.

The film is a journey through Dylan's life, starting with a young boy named Woody Guthrie, and ending up with Richard Gere's version, an older Dylan. Throughout, we see the changes throughout his life, and the film ends fittingly with the following words:

"People are always talking about freedom, and how to live a certain way. Course the more you live a certain way the less it feels like freedom. Me? I can change during the course of a day. When I wake I'm one person, when I go to sleep I know for certain I'm somebody else. I don't know who I am most of the time. It's like you got yesterday, today and tomorrow all in the same room. There's no telling what's going to happen."

I thought the movie was brilliant, confusing and enlightening. Most of all, the soundtrack released for the film is absolutely brilliant, with a ton of extremely well done Dylan covers by a diverse group of singers. If anything, I think that the soundtrack is just as good as the movie, with just as much character.

You Ain't Goin' Nowhere (Bob Dylan) - Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova









Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again (Bob Dylan) - Cat Power










Hype - Buy - Look