September 24, 2008

Cover & Original : Jason Mraz




I came across some interesting Jason Mraz covers earlier today, which helped clinch what I was going to do for the feature today.

The first set up is a cover of one of Mraz's songs, I'm Yours, off of his latest album, We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things, by Shael Riley, a nerd-core artist out of New York City. This is an interesting cover, a little angsty sounding. It strays more into the pop-realm than I really like when it comes to songs, but it's not enough to dismiss out of hand.

Next up are two covers that Mraz has performed live at concerts, No Woman No Cry, originally by Bob Marley, and Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns n' Roses. Both fall with the originals pretty faithfully - this is a concert, after all, and people like hearing what's familiar. Of the two, I prefer No Woman No Cry.

I'm Yours (Jason Mraz) - Shael Riley








I'm Yours - Jason Mraz








No Woman No Cry (Bob Marley)
- Jason Mraz








No Woman No Cry - Bob Marley








Sweet Child O' Mine (Guns n' Roses) - Jason Mraz








Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns n' Roses