October 20, 2008

New Artist: Break and Repair Method




Occasionally, I click on banner ads, and Hypem.com was running one for these guys the other day, and I have to say, they have a fun and pretty interesting sound that hooked me in.
The Break and Repair Method is a side project by Matchbox Twenty guitarist Paul Doucette, and recently released their first album, Milk the Bee back in September. Vocally, this stands out a bit for me, and its accompanied with some fun lyrics with an energetic, indie-popish type of sound.
As a first release, Milk the Bee falls under the radar. There are only a couple of songs here that really stand out, my favorites being I'm At A Low, You Won't Be Able To Be Sad and This City (Is Bound to Do Us In). While this is a light number for an album, these couple of songs stand out a bit enough for me to sit up and take notice. There's certainly a feel for MB20 with a couple of these songs, while others, such as Low, this isn't the case.
In any case, this is a decent first effort from the group, one that shows quite a bit of promise if we hear more from them in the future. The group is currently on the road with Matt Nathanson.

I'm At A Low - Break and Repair Method