August 13, 2007

In the Shadow of the Moon

On September 7th, there's going to be a documentary released to theaters that looks absolutely fantastic. It's called In the Shadow of the Moon, and it's about the space program that would eventually bring the human race out to the moon. It's gotten quite a few awards from the Sundance Film Festival, and from the trailer, it looks fantastic, and seems to have a number of interviews from original astronauts.





Space history is something that I've really gotten into. I graduated from a military college with a degree in history. Not surprisingly, there's a good degree of military history involved there, and frankly, I've wanted to avoid military history to some degree, although it's something that I'm really interested in. Space is just cool, and I've been looking for good books on the subject. With this documentary, I started poking around for more books, and found that there's a book by the same title (In the Shadow of the Moon: A Challenging Journey to Tranquility, 1965-1969), by Francis French and Colin Burgess, which is an absolutely amazing read so far. It's comprehensive and detailed, and apparently, the two authors wrote another book, called Into That Silent Sea: Trail Blazers of the Space Era, 1961-1965, which is something that I'll be getting soon.




I'm a huge fan of science fiction, but there's something about reading about the actual events that've occurred that makes me thrilled inside. Science fact sometimes trumps Science Fiction.
Fly Me To The Moon - Frank Sinatra
Man on the Moon - R.E.M.