November 5, 2007

Some New Artists

Over the past couple of weeks and months, I've come across a couple of new groups that've really grabbed my attention. We've got indie, folk, alternative and country all represented here.

Vampire Weekend

I've seen these guys rumbling around in the blogosphere for a little while now, and I suspect that we're going to hear a lot more from them in the very near future, as they will be releasing their first, self-titled album January 29th of 2008. They've already released an EP on iTunes, called Mansard Roof, which is quite good. These guys have a very fun, distinctive sound - sounds very caribbean to me for some reason, which is funny because of their name. They've got a bit of a European tour going on now, and will be coming back to the US shortly.

Ladies of Cambridge - Vampire Weekend

Visit their webpage: http://www.vampireweekend.com/

Jess Clemons and the Coopertive

Grace Potter was one student who came out of my high school with a very bright future in music - Jess Clemons seems to be following the same track. This is the second recent singer that I've come across that I know personally. While I'm sure that she's going to be compared a bit to Grace Potter, and while there are similarities, I think that her sound is much closer towards the folk range, towards Alison Krauss or Nancy Griffith. She's got a really good voice here, and I think she's got a lot of potential. She's just released her first independant album.

Well The Tide - Jess Clemons and the Coopertive

Check her out here: www.jessclemons.com

Kate Nash

Kate Nash has a very similar sound to Regina Spektor, and with a distinctive London flavor to her sound. She's got a lot of spunk and energy with her music and a wicked independant streak with her lyrics. Very catchy, great voice, etc. I'm a fan. She's just released her first album, Made of Bricks, back in August.

Mouthwash - Kate Nash

She doesnt' seem to have a webpage yet, but here's her myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/katenashmusic

Corb Lund and the Hurtin' Albertans

I came across this guy through Mainstream Isn't So Bad the other day, and this song just sucked me in. These guys are out of Alberta, and are on album number 5. This song's on their upcoming Horse Soldier! Horse Soldier! album, due out in November. Don't be detered by these guy's label as country, this song is fantastic with it's lyrics, rivaling that of the Decemberists. I love this song because it's really based in history, which is really cool to listen to. I can't wait to hear more.

Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier - Corb Lund and the Hurtin' Albertans

Webpage: www.corblund.com