August 20, 2008

RIP: LeRoi Moore





I just came across this news earlier today - Saxophonist LeRoi Moore, who was one of the original members of the Dave Matthew's Band, passed away yesterday. He was involved in an accident back in June, and passed away due to complications.

This statement from the Dave Matthew's Band:

We are deeply saddened that LeRoi Moore, saxophonist and founding member of Dave Matthews Band, died unexpectedly Tuesday afternoon, August 19, 2008, at Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center in Los Angeles from sudden complications stemming from his June ATV accident on his farm near Charlottesville, Virginia. LeRoi had recently returned to his Los Angeles home to begin an intensive physical rehabilitation program.


Last night, the Band went on for a concert as schduled and had this to day:

"As we sat this afternoon contemplating the loss of our brother, we wondered how we could possibly do a show today. Dave put it into perspective stating, "There's no place I'd rather be than here with you guys right now." We cherish special memories of our lost friend. Tonight, Dave told a story about LeRoi at a bar in Virginia where the cash register was near the stage and LeRoi leaned on the register because "standing had become a chore". Roi proceeded to play the most beautiful version of Somewhere Over The Rainbow. Dave said, "that was the day I fell in love with him. And I'm still in love with him." It's safe to say we all were in love with him. "It's always easier to leave, than to be left."

Dave Matthews, on August 19, 2008


I'm not sure what to think here. The Dave Matthew's Band, while largely dismissed in the blogosphere and among 'indie fans' has been one of my absolute favorite bands since early high school, ever since I got a copy of Under the Table and Dreaming, which remains one of my favorites. Over the years, I've ranged in my fandom of these guys, but I've always looked forwards to listening to their music, or an upcoming album. One of the things that has always struck me when I was younger was the introduction of a saxophone in a mainstream rock band, and now, I've come to appreciate the diversity in sound that it brought.

I'm truly regretful that I've never seen them on stage yet, and now that I'll never be able to see them as I've listened to them all these years. I do hope to see them, but I have to wonder how this will affect the band in the future, and I hope that they will continue onwards.


The Best of What's Around - Dave Matthew's Band









#34 - Dave Matthew's Band