December 5, 2008

Coming Up: The Albums of 2009




As 2008 comes to a close, everyone is starting to think about the upcoming year and what will be coming out. There's never a shortage of artists who we always want to be releasing new materials, and already, I've started looking for what will be coming out in 2009. Here's what I'm really looking forwards to:

Untitled - Carbon Leaf
Carbon Leaf is my all-time favorite band. I've seen them numerous times in concert, and for the past year and a half, there's been talk of first two albums, then a new album and a remake of an old one, and now another one. Their concerts have featured several new songs, such as I'm In Love (With Another Man's Woman) and Meltdown, two fantastic songs. The album was finished earlier this fall, but we haven't seen a title or track listing yet. The band has said that the album should drop around February sometime.

Untitled - Dave Matthews Band
All this year, I've come across rumors that Dave Matthews and his band will be returning for another studio album. I always look forwards to these, because they can really shape up and change their sound from album to album. Compare Stand Up to Under the Table and Dreaming, and you'll see what I mean. Considering that their last studio album was released in 2005, we're long overdue for another one. No title, release date or track list yet. I don't know if the death of bandmate Leroy Moore will affect this or not.

Untitled - Coldplay
With the highly sucessful release of Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends and Prospekts March this year, Coldplay has been unstoppable, it seems. Their songs are ever more popular, and for good reason - this has been their strongest year yet. With all the press, they've said that they'll be releasing a followup album next year, most likely in the fall/winter. Hopefully it'll be just as good.

Untitled - Cary Brothers
I've been seeing little bits here and there, so this is mostly speculation on my part, but Cary Brothers is back in the studio, recording a followup album. I was a big fan of Who You Are, and it was one of my favorite albums of last year.

Bloodbank EP - Bon Iver
This easily has to be the most anticipated album. For Emma, Forever Ago was brilliant, heartwrenching and emotional, and easily one of the best albums of the year. (You'll see it on my best albums list coming soon). There's an EP being released in January, entitled Bloodbank, and it can't come soon enough.

A Sucker's Dream - The Alternate Routes
The Alternate Routes released their first album last year, Good and Reckless and True, which I really enjoyed, and it likewise made it onto my best albums list last December. After the release of an EP this year, they'll be back with a new album with some of their new songs. From the first single, The Future Is Nothing New, this one will be another good listen.

Hazards of Love - The Decemberists
2006's The Crane Wife is a wonderful album, and it's fully turned me to the Decemberists (whom I really didn't like at first). It was a fantastic album, and while they've been releasing new materials this year via 3 EPs, Always the Bridesmaid, a new LP from these guys will be a welcome thing for sure. Should be due out May of 2009.

Battler - Gregory Douglass
Battler is the latest album from Gregory Douglass, and one of the tracks will be featuring Grace Potter. The first track, Broken Through is fantastic, building on some of the sounds from his last album, Up and Away, which I loved. Battler is coming in February of 2009.

Stay tuned for the Best Albums, New Artists and Songs lists, coming soon!